Error code 0xc0000005 is one of the most common errors many people face in Windows 10. There are numerous causes of this error 0xc0000005. The most common causes include wrong hardware configuration, malware, damaged RAM, corrupted registry files. You can find solutions to this error in this article. Moreover, the error 0xc0000005 can be seen in Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
Causes of the Windows Error Code: 0xc0000005
Before jumping into the solutions, you should know the reason why this error appears. The main causes of this error are listed below.
1. This error may appear during the installation of Windows:
When you are installing or updating the Windows OS, the error code 0xc0000005 may pop up and discontinue the process. This is mostly this is caused by temporary hardware issues. It will display the error message “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error…”
2. This error may appear while launching an application:
This error code can be displayed when you try to open a program like VLC, Google Chrome, or any other application on your computer. This may be caused due to invalid or incomplete DLL files. Even reinstalling the program will not solve this error. If this is the cause of the error it will display the error message “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).”
3. This error may pop up while Windows is dealing with Location or Data:
This error may pop up when you are doing daily stuff on the computer. Your computer may be accessing a location or data. This may show the error message “Exception: Access violation error (0xc0000005) at…”.
Solutions to Fix the Windows Error Code: 0xc0000005
After seeing the causes of this error 0xc0000005, you should know about the steps for fixing this error. Those solutions are listed below.
1. You should try replacing your RAM:
You already know that damaged RAM may also be the cause of the error 0xc0000005. This error may pop up when there is some physical damage in RAM. You should check your RAM and find out your RAM is working properly or not. If you feel like there is some problem with RAM, you should replace your RAM. You must be sure that you should turn all the power sources off while replacing RAM. After replacing RAM, you should turn on your computer and check whether the solution worked on your PC or not.
2. You should change these in the Registry setting:
The error 0xc0000005 also appears when there is any corrupted files or corrupted key in Registry. You should restore the registry settings if you had created a registry backup previously. Before continuing the process, you must be sure that changing the registry is a risky process. So be sure that incorrect changes may damage your PC. You should follow these simple steps to proceed.
- First of all, you should press Windows key+R. This will open the Run window for you.
- You should enter Regedit in the Open Box.
- This will take you to the registry window. After that, you should open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Now, Go to software and explore SOFTWARE.
- After that, you should open Microsoft and click on Windows NT.
- You should explore CurrentVersions.
- Now, you should click on Windows.
- You should see it on the right part of the window. Now, double-click on LoadAppInit_DLLs.
- You should change the value data which appears on your screen. You should change the value data from 1 to 0.
- After that, hit OK. You should exit the Registry setting.
- Finally, you should restart your computer.
3. You should run an SFC scan:
At first, you should run an SFC scan to check for the corrupted files on your computer. You should follow these steps to conduct an SFC scan on your computer.
- Firstly, you should search for Command Prompt in the search bar.
- You should right-click on Command Prompt which will appear at the top of the list of results. You should select Run as administrator.
- A window called Command Prompt will appear on your screen. You should type SFC /scannow in the command prompt and hit Enter.
- This may take some time. This process will find corrupt files and remove them automatically.
4. You should disable DEP:
Microsoft has given an in-built feature in Windows that helps to protect us from damages caused by the virus and other related malware. DEP(Data Execution Prevention) is the feature that prevents the computer from these sorts of malware. This feature is useful in many cases. Nevertheless, some programs are not comfortable with it, which causes error 0xc0000005. So, you should disable DEP to check whether that is causing the error or not. The simple steps to disable DEP are listed below.
- You should start your windows with administrator access.
- Then, open the Run window by pressing Windows Key+R.
- In the open box, you should type sysdm.cpl and press Enter.
- Now, you should go to the Advanced tab. You can see the performance section there, click on setting in the performance section. There you will see 3 settings, you should not be confused. You should go to setting from the performance tab.
- Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- After that, mark the option Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- You click on add and add the programs which are causing this error.
5. You should try running CHKDSK Utility:
In order to fix the error, you should run the CHKDSK utility. This CHKDSK checks the corruption or bad sector in any drive. Follows the steps mentioned below.
- You should press Windows Key+R this will open Run windows.
- Type CMD.EXE and hit Enter. This will open Command Prompt as admin for you.
- Now, you should type chkdsk X: /f /r. You should put the name of your defective drive in place of X and hit Enter.
We hope this solution helped you to fix error 0xc0000005 in your Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7.