The error code 0x8000ffff is one of the notorious errors which arises during the windows update. This error usually appears after updating windows. After updating windows, it locks the Windows store. It can also crop up when you try to crop up after performing the system restore. It will not respond when you try to add and install a new program you downloaded recently.
Causes of the Windows Error
Before jumping into the solutions, let’s see some of the causes of error. The causes of error 0x8000ffff are listed below.
- This can cause because malware or virus infection.
- Faulty or outdated drivers can cause this error.
- Incorrect Dates and Times can cause this sort of error.
- Unnecessary Drivers or Processes may be the root cause of this error.
- A corrupted Windows Store cache can be the cause of this error.
- Sometimes this error may be caused by a Problematic Windows Store App.
- Corrupted or Missing System Files can also cause this error.
- The reason for this error can be Limited Access.
- Corrupted Registry Entries can also cause this error.
Solutions to Fix the Windows Error Code: 0x8000ffff
After knowing these causes of error 0x8000ffff, let us jump into the solutions to fix this error.
1. You should check your computer for Malware Infection:
First of all, you should check whether your computer is infected by malware or not. If your computer is infected by malware or virus, removing those files will help you to solve error 0x8000ffff. You should go and check through the in-built anti-malware program called Windows Defender. Follow these simple steps to check whether your computer is infected or not.
- You should go to the Start menu and open the settings.
- After that, you should click on Update & Security.
- Then, you should go to Windows Defender.
- Now, you should select Windows Defender Offline.
- Finally, click on Scan Offline.
You should restart your computer. After that, you can check whether your error is fixed or not.
2. You should make changes to your drivers:
As you already know, corrupted or problematic drivers might cause the error 0x8000ffff. You should make some changes to the drivers in order to fix the problem. To make some changes, you should follow these simple steps. There are two methods. They are updating drivers or using Driver Verifier.
You should follow these steps to update your drivers.
- To update your drivers, you should go to the start menu and click on Settings.
- After that, click on Update & Security.
- You will find check for updates options there. You should click on it.
- Then, choose the driver that you need to update from the list.
- You can verify the driver verifier and device manager.
- Press the Windows Key + X and go to the device manager.
- You should expand the device entries.
- You should search for the problematic driver, right-click on it and select Update Driver Software.
3. Check your date and time:
You should check for the date and time on your computer. If the date and time are incorrect, you should correct the time. You can check and correct your date and time by following these steps.
- You can see that date and time given at the right-bottom of your computer screen.
- After that, right-click on that time and date sector and select Adjust date/time.
- After that, you should turn on Set Time Automatically.
4. You should Boot in safe mode with networking:
Unwanted drivers, processes, and other features can hamper your updates. You should boot in a Safe Mode with Networking to remove spoilers and update your system and apps. Then, follow these simple steps to open safe mode with networking.
- You should go to the start button and open the settings.
- Then, click on Update & Security and go to recovery.
- Now, you should click on Advanced Startup.
- After that, you should click on restart now and choose a troubleshoot option.
- You should choose Advanced Options.
- Now, click on Startup Settings and Restart your computer.
5. Clear all the windows store cache:
You should clean all the cache for Windows store cache which may help you to solve your problems. Follow these simple steps to clear all the cache files for the Windows store.
- You should open the Run window by pressing Windows key+ R and paste the following and hit OK.
- Now, find the cache folder, right-click on it and rename it as Cache.old.
- If you could not find such a folder on your computer, you should name a new folder and name it to cache.
- After closing that window, press Windows + I and choose Updates & Security.
- Now, you should click on Troubleshoot.
- You should click on the Windows Store App and Run a scan.
If this does not solve your error, Windows store cache is not the solution. You should try another solution.
6. You should edit registry entries:
Before starting this process, you should be sure that it is a risky process. If there is a slight mistake in the change, it has the chance of damaging your computer. You should only follow these instructions. These are the simple steps to edit registry entries.
- You should open the Run box type regedit.exe and hit enter to continue.
- You should click on File from the registry window.
- After that, you should go to Export.
- Now, choose the location and name for the backup file and save the file.
7. You should disable a Proxy Server:
Disable your proxy settings in order to fix the error 0x8000ffff. You can follow these simple steps in order to disable the proxy service.
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R.
- You should type inetcpl.cpl in that particular open box and hit enter.
- Then go to the Connection tab.
- After that, you should open LAN settings.
- Now unmark Use proxy server for your LAN and hit OK.
- After that, select Apply and hit OK again.
Now, you should check whether your error is fixed or not.
8. You should create a new user account:
Try to make a new user account. You can open a new user account by following these steps.
- Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt(Admin).
- You should type the following and hit enter.
net user /add [username] [password]
net localgroup administrators [username] /add
Note: You should be sure that you should choose your preferred username and password in place of [username] and [password].
- You should restart your computer.
- Now, you should log in to the new user account.
- You should revive your previous data from c:\users\previous-user-name.
- Now, you should press Windows key+X and select Command Prompt(Admin).
- You should type shutdown /I /f and hit Enter.
After then, you will be logged off. Again, log in as a new user and go to your windows store. You will be asked to log in with your Microsoft account. You should log in by using your new Microsoft account.
Moreover, there are numerous causes and solutions for the error code 0x8000ffff. The major causes and solutions are written here. We hope this helped you to fix the error 0x8000ffff.