Two-step verification is also known as two-factor authentication which adds an extra layer of security to your account. Microsoft offered 2 step verification since 2013 which protects your account by making it harder for someone else to access your accounts. Don’t have a Microsoft account? Sign up for Hotmail now.
Hotmail Login with 2 step verification
1) You need to enter your regular password,
2) You need to enter a security code which you may receive via SMS, authenticator app or email. These security codes work one time only, for each login you receive another unique authentication code.
Allowing 2 step verification on Microsoft account enable it on all Microsoft services which support 2 step authentication.
Enable or Disable Microsoft Account 2 step verification
- Step 1: Visit Microsoft Privacy setting page.
- Step 2: Sign In with your Microsoft Account.
- Step 3: There will be options on ‘Account Security’ and ‘Online safety’. Click ‘More Security Setting’ under Account Security.
- Step 4: If you are using an unknown device or browser, it will ask to verify your account. You can select Text, Email or Authenticator to get the verification code. If you select ‘Text’ you have to enter the last four digits of your mobile number, if you select email, you have to enter your full email address.
- Step 5: Enter the code you received. And click ‘submit’.
- Step 6: Scroll down and click on ‘set up two-step verification‘.
- Step 7: Microsoft will give some points to notice. Click ‘Next’.
- Step 8: Choose the device you want to install the authenticator app. If you do not want to use the app you can choose ‘set it up later’. (If you haven’t verified an alternative email address you will see a message displaying ‘How else can we verify your identity’ click on the email and click ‘next’ Enter the code you’ve received an email.)
- Step 9: There are instructions to ‘set up your smartphone with an app password’ Check your device and read the instructions and click ‘Next’.
- Step 10: Some other services like Xbox 360 or Outlook desktop app for PC or Mac etc. you need app password too, so if you are using any of services mentioned there check ‘learn more about how to set them up‘ link. Click ‘Finish’ and your two-step verification is activated.
How to disable two-step verification
Follow above procedure till ‘step 6‘ and click ‘Turn off two-step verification’, A notice box will pop up asking ‘are you sure you want to turn off two-step verification’ click ‘Yes’ and it will be disabled.