Microsoft released a new major for Windows 10 in May 2019. The update came up with a lot of features as well as bugs. The error 0x80070020 is also one of the major bugs of the Windows 10 May 2019 update. This error has no specific error message. It is displayed like an error (-5006: 0x80070020) has occurred while running the setup. This error code also prevents you from downloading and installing the latest update of Windows 10. If you have suffered the error 0x80070020, then hold on and read this article till the end. In Windows 10, this is displayed as a Download error 0x80070020.
Simple Solutions to Fix the Windows Error Code: 0x80070020
You should read these solutions in order to fix your problems. These are the solutions to fix the error 0x80070020.
1. You should uninstall or disable your antivirus.
You may know or not, Windows does not require any third-party antivirus as it has in-built anti-malware software called Windows Defender. If you have installed any third-party application on your Windows computer, it may harm your operating system, either disable or uninstall that particular third-party antivirus. You can disable your antivirus by going to that specific software but if you want to uninstall that third-party application, follow these easy steps.
- You should press the Windows key + R key to open the run window.
- After the run window appears, you should type the control panel in the open box and hit enter.
- A control panel window will pop up on your screen. And find programs and features and tap on them.
- You will see the list of software on your computer. Then, find the particular third-party antivirus software which you want to uninstall. You should right-click on it and select uninstall.
After following these steps, you should check whether the error is fixed or not. If your error is not fixed, you should try using another solution for this error.
2. You should restart BITS on your computer.
BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. BITS is a Windows process that is responsible for delivering updates on your computer. If this process gets corrupt, you will have a problem while receiving updates. In order to fix this corruption, your BITS should be restarted. You should follow these steps in order to restart BITS.
- Press the Windows key + R key to open the run window.
- After the run window pops up, you should type services.msc in the open box and hit enter or click on OK.
- A new window will pop up. The services window will appear on your computer screen.
- You can see the list of services there. You should find Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- After finding Background Intelligent Transfer Service, you should right-click on it and select properties.
- On the General tab, you should find the Startup type and select Automatic (Delayed Start).
- If the Background Intelligent Transfer Services is not running on your pc, you should right-click and choose Start.
- Finally, you should confirm the selection and close that particular window.
If BITS is not wrong, you should try another solution from below.
3. You should run the SFC scan.
You can use the SFC scan to check for corrupt files. SFC scan helps you to navigate the corrupted files and remove those corrupted files. You should follow these steps to run the SFC scan on your computer.
- You should press the Windows key + R key to open the Run Window.
- After opening Run Window, you should type CMD.EXE in order to open the command prompt as the administrator.
- Also, use Windows key + X key and select command prompt(Admin). You can use either the 1st and 2nd steps or only the 3rd step to open the command prompt.
- Command prompt window will pop up on your computer screen.
- You should type SFC /scannow in the Command prompt windows.
- The process may take some time. You should wait and after completing the process, you should restart your computer.
Following these steps, you may be able to fix the error 0x80070020. If you were not able to solve your problem, you should try other solution methods.
4. You should do a DISM scan in your computer system.
If you are familiar with the command prompt, it is one of the most useful tools in the Windows operating system. You should use the command prompt for running the DISM scan. Follow these simple steps to run the DISM scan on your computer.
- You should press the Windows key + R key to open the Run Window.
- Then, type CMD.EXE in order to open the command prompt window.
- After opening the command prompt window, you should type the following and hit enter.
- DISM.EXE /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- After you give this command in the command prompt, you can close the command prompt.
- This will scan the available windows OS boot image and the upcoming updated boot image.
- After completing the process, you should restart your computer.
Finally, you should check if your error 0x80070020 is solved. If your error 0x80070020 is not solved on your computer, you should try other solution methods.
5. You should use a windows troubleshooter to fix the error 0x80070020.
The use of windows Troubleshooter may help you. You can follow these simple steps to use Windows troubleshooter.
- First, you need to go to the query menu by pressing the Windows key + Q key and searching out for Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Then you are directed to start running by pressing the Windows key + R key.
- Now you need to type the control panel in the open box of the run window.
- It will open the Control Panel window. Then you should select the System and Security option of the control panel window.
- Now you need to select the update troubleshooter.
- Then you should click on the option Fix problems with Windows update.
- You must find out and click on the Advanced tab option in the window.
- Now you should left-click on the Run as administrator option.
(Note: You need to make sure that you have clicked on the Apply repairs automatically option)
After the completion of these steps, you can find that the troubleshooter automatically starts to scan for the acknowledged problems and errors with your system updates. You should wait for some period of time patiently for its completion as it takes several minutes to complete. This process may help you to solve your problem. If these steps did not help you out, you should try any other method of solution.
6. You should perform the Windows update.
This error 0x80070020 will not allow you to install the new version of the Window. You can use Windows 10 media creation tool in order to upgrade your Windows. And, follow these steps in order to upgrade your windows using Windows 10 media creation tool.
- You should download the Windows 10 media creation tool from the official website.
- Once the download is completed, you should run it.
- The option will appear there, you should select Upgrade this pc now.
- After that, you should select Download and install the updates and hit next. It may take some time so that you should wait until the upgrade completes.
- You should follow all the instructions given on your computer screen until it displays Ready to install on your screen. You should click on Change what to keep.
- After that, you should select keep personal files and apps and click on next.
- After the installation starts, you should follow the instructions given on the screen.
Once the installation completes, you will get the latest version of Windows. This will also solve your error 0x80070020.
These are the basic solutions for the error 0x80070020. We hope you got your error fixed by following one of these solutions from this article.